Virginia Highlands Community College
Policy and Procedure Manual
Virginia Highlands Community College is one of twenty-three community colleges operating under the jurisdiction of the Virginia State Board for Community College. The Virginia Community College System (VCCS) was founded in 1966 by the Virginia General Assembly. Virginia Highlands Community College (VHCC) was founded on November 30, 1967 and classes began in 1969.
This Manual will be reviewed and updated as needed to ensure that all faculty and staff are provided with current policies and procedures. The manual is supplemented by the VCCS Policy Manual, the Virginia Department of Human Resource Management Policies, and other specified documents.
DEVELOPMENT AND MAINTENANCE OF POLICIES AND PROCEDURES
Virginia Highlands Community College (VHCC) will publish policies and procedures to which the college community will have ready access. As one of the institutions of the Virginia Community College System (VCCS), VHCC is subject to the policies and procedures established by the VCCS. In addition, VHCC is a state agency of the Commonwealth of Virginia and is subject to state policies, laws or regulations which apply to state agencies generally. In the event of a conflict, the highest applicable level in the hierarchy takes precedence.
The President is the final authority with regard to VHCC policy and changes to policy. The President also has the authority to approve, waive, suspend, or alter VHCC’s policies as necessary to address an emergency situation, extraordinary circumstance or changes in Federal and State Law.
The President’s Executive Leadership Team (ELT) is responsible for providing oversight and updating the VHCC Policy and Procedure Manual. The procedures to initiate, review, and approve new or revised policies are as follows:
- The need for a new or revised policy is identified by the responsible senior administrator.
- An initial draft of the new or revised policy will be prepared and vetted with the President’s ELT. As part of this review, the ELT and the President will determine any potential conflicts with existing policies or procedures.
- Depending on the nature of the policy change, the President may charge the appropriate committee(s) with addressing the proposed change(s) and to report their findings and recommendations to the ELT for further review and the President’s approval.
- Once approved by the President, the Vice President of Finance and Administration will ensure the new policy is updated in the appropriate section of the policy manual and on the VHCC website.
- The President will send an email to the campus community informing them of the policy change(s).
- The original signed approved change of policy will be maintained by the Office of the Vice President of Finance and Administration.
VHCC policies will be written and maintained to provide consistency from one policy to another. To request a change please use the following format:
- VHCC policy
- Revision number
- Section number and title
Section(s) contents with recommended changes highlighted in yellow
Justification of recommended change
Individual/Committee recommending change